The Chris Debate

The jacket actually looks pretty dope, although 'barangay' is barely visible I didn't get to watch the PBA Rookie Draft last n...

The jacket actually looks pretty dope, although 'barangay' is barely visible


I didn't get to watch the PBA Rookie Draft last night because of reasons shmishons.

So I took my phone out and messaged ate Nessa (@SacapuloNessa) to get updates about who went where.

Who did Petron pick? Where did Abueva go? What about Pure Foods (B-MEG/San Mig Coffee)?

Wtf, no. I'm joking.

I just asked her how Ginebra fared, of course.

The last time we got a good pick at the draft was... Probably 2001?

Just a good ten - eleven years or so 'til today.

Not really that long, right?

But I'm not going to talk about how good our picks are since I really don't know them.

(Although I heard some great stories and watched great highlight videos)

Anyway what I'm actually going to blog about is the gigantic Chris debate that happened on the world wide web last night.

One Chris was chosen after another Chris, hence the debate.

Ginebra with # 6, Rain or Shine with # 7.

No, hold up.

Barangay Ginebra San Miguel Sunog Baga Boys with # 6, Rain or Shine Elastopainters with #7.


(Do we even have a monicker? I'm getting frustrated about that, so if you have any ideas hit me up on here or Twitter)

Okay. Here we go.

On the red corner is Fil American Chris One.

Chris one is Chris Ellis.

That rookie Ginebra drafted yesterday as 6th over all. (If you're not a hoop junkie, like me, that's all you know)

And on the blue corner is Fil Chinese Chris Two.

Chris two is Chris Tiu. (I know, it rhymes)

That good looking Tsinoy smiling at you via Oracare billboard along EDSA. (If it's still there)

But before I proceed, let me just get this clear.

The great Chris debate was not between Ginebra and Rain or Shine fans.

Funny because it wasn't even between Ginebra or Pure Foods (B-MEG/San Mig Coffee) or Petron San Miguelsters, who both have passionate groups of fans too.

It was Ginebra vs Ginebra.

On one hand, jubilant Ginebra fans were jubilant because we got an athletic Chris Ellis (according to write ups  and comments I've read since I pretty much have no idea, I'm useless)

On the other hand, angry Ginebra fans were angry because we passed up on a well loved PG in Chris Tiu (come on admit it, girls go gaga over him)

I won't write my two cents on who Barangay Ginebra San Miguel Sunog Baga Boys should've picked because I'm no scout.

So I'll write about my two cents on some few comments written by awesome Ginebra fans on an InterAktv article because I want to.

Kuya is so mad at the SMC management for passing up on Chris Two.

Why didn't you pick Chris Tiu?! Chris Tiu is a good player! Jayjay (Helterbrand) won't have any decent point guard to train!

In all fairness, kuya has a point.

Chris Two is a leader, a good and intelligent player. Sikat pa, plus points!

But kuya, we have Mike Cortez, Rob Labagala, and I read somewhere that rookie Buensomething and another pick are PGs, too.

So... I think Jayjay can train them.

If Jayjay does train Point Guards. (which I really don't think that's the case)

Some other fans are devastated because they say Coach Siot projected some interest in Chris Two before the draft leading to their anticipation that Chris Two would don a Ginebra jersey.

They might have the right to be more devastated after Commissioner Salud announced the 6th pick.

(Ginebra selects Chris * paaaaaaaauuuuuuusssseeee * Ellis; according to some tweets)

Which I think is pretty cool, by the way.

But you know what, let's not get ahead of ourselves and don't let your emotions get the best of you.

We might think picking Chris One is a mistake.

We might think picking Chris Two could've been a great choice.

But, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We, whether you like it or not, don't have any idea what's going to happen on their first games, their first seasons, ad infinitum.

All we know is what they have done and what they can do, not what they will do in the future.

Do you honestly know when Chris One will score his first basket, how he'll score it, or will he even be called from the bench?

Same goes for Chris Two.

So it's better to calm yo kidneys down and just pray everything will pan out well for Ginebra's rookies and the others.

Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

As a Ginebra fan myself, I think we're a pretty emotional bunch.

But it's not right to cry like a kid lost in a supermarket when someone you like doesn't get drafted for our team.

I mean, come on.

You might be like me, someone who doesn't have a clear idea of who Chris One is.

But while other fans are shouting their intestines out because of Ginebra's choice, I'm actually looking forward to what Chris One can bring to the team.

He's young. He's tall. I'm pretty sure he could ball. (rhymes, more rhymes)

So instead of being upset, let's be excited together!

I watched a YouTube video of Chris One's highlights.

He could shoot threes.

He could do jump shots.

He could drive inside the lanes.

He could jump pretty high.

And best of all, he could dunk.

Like seriously dunk.

I can't remember the last time Ginebra drafted someone who dunks. (Or I may be just too old to remember)

See? Isn't that ultra mega cool?

So instead of bashing the decision of the management, let's welcome and support Chris One and our other rookies.

Let's get excited together and hope & pray for the best!

And if worse comes to worst.. aren't we already used to that? Haaaaa

Although I think our rookies are good picks.

Law of attraction, you guys.

"Ginebra got great picks who would help the team win that championship." Say this 3 x a day.

That should be our mantra to attract good karma.

So you see, there's really no need to worry.

Remember when Ginebra chose a virtually unknown blonde point guard who looked like he was a part of 'N Sync?

Well that's your 2012 PBA MVP right thurrrr.

And not to mention, the heart and soul of Ginebra; our Mahatma Ghandi as I've said before.

Discussions are great, mini squabbles are exciting, but let's not fight and tear each other apart.

After all, we are Ginebra fans. We're not (insert player's name of your choice here) fans only.

And in my opinion, awesome Ginebra fans are awesome.

So let's all stay awesome, yeah?

You Might Also Like

6 comments


  1. - Nice Blog ma'am Step, Well talent wise Chris Ellis is better and his 4 year's younger that Chris Tiu i think. So Perfect choice for our admired team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some will say sayang bakit hindi kinuha si Chris Tiu, but if you look at the brighter side, Ellis is younger. Hindi natin alam kung hanggang kailan maglalaro si Chris Tiu because he is already 27. I must say ok na rin ang nakuha natin sa draft. Bata who can run, shoot the ball, and excite the fans with highlight dunks. But then again, we need to wait and see kung anu ang epekto ng pag-pass natin sa mas sikat at pogi para kunin ang isang bata at athletic na legit 6' 4".

    ReplyDelete
  3. ellis is a good choice.

    sa chris debate its
    gsm fans vs gsm fans
    and some of them says bobo and tanga to those who feels na sayang si tiu.

    Nakakalungkot lang na ganyan nila itreat ang mga kapwa kabarangay nila.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wala kaung ang kailanga dto baskatball nd papogihan

    ReplyDelete
  5. ang kailanga ng gins big point guard yan kailangan nla kc yan ang turo ni jawo k tangquicen big guard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pasok sa banga! Srsly, I don't get the hype of CT being drafted to the team. Dahil sya ang pinakasikat n draftee? How lame. We don't need those dashing looks and talentwise, the rest of the bunch can outperform him if given the chance. We all wish one thing: for a better Ginebra this season and the next to come. Magtiwala na lang tayo sa kaya nilang ibigay. After all, we're their die-hard fans.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, hello there.