Ginebra ako. Ikaw?

When Papang Frank was laid to rest three years ago, my love for basketball got buried alongside him. Siya 'yung partner ko for P...

When Papang Frank was laid to rest three years ago, my love for basketball got buried alongside him.

Siya 'yung partner ko for PBA Sunday nights back in the 90s - walang t-shirt, lumang shorts, Winston 'yung red na sigarilyo.

Siya 'yung kunsintidor na imbes i-encourage akong gumawa ng assignment, he would say dito ka 'teng to sit with him in front of our Sony TV to watch grainy basketball on IBC-13.

Siya 'yung instead of moulding me to be a PureFoods fan like him, hinayaan ako to choose whichever team I'd support - Alaska from '96, Talk 'N Text for a short period in the early 00s, and then Ginebra.

Ah, Ginebra.

Papang Frank was not the type of father who would get upset about grades in school, or for not eating vegetables, or for asking pambili ng Coke 8 onz before doing a household chore he would ask me to do.

Ah, but Ginebra was a different story.

Our first biggest fight was not about me learning how to cut classes or a padded price of a one thousand pesos kailangan-daw-talaga-bilihin-na-libro in college.

It was on a fateful Sunday night, as the San Miguel Beermen took out my Barangay Ginebra, nang magmurahan kami ni Papang Frank.

Hindi ko na maalala 'yung buong away namin. I just remember snippets:

A very upset me because potang SMB.

Ronald Tubid was still one third of the The Fast, The Furious, and The Fearless.

At 'yung mapangasar na tawa ni Papang Frank kasi talo Ginebra ko.

If I'm being really honest, I could still remember the shouting and cursing and tears and slammed doors. But it's something that I don't want to bring to light because it just makes me feel stupid.

In the end, I apologized and hugged him - which in return got me an okey na wag mo na ulitin hindi ka pinalaking bastos.

Being pikon and getting angry and shouting putaaa ended there, pero 'yung asaran continued on.

Even when I left my childhood home 'yung cream na gate sa harap ng basketball court at kapilya in Davao City for Cubao and its Araneta to flying overseas to work and live in Japan - Papang Frank's calls and ribbing did not stop.

Daog na pud mi, 'teng. I mean, if your team had Tim Cone, is winning championships after championships even something new?

Tiguwang na kaayo nang Kagiwa nimo. I mean, don't we all grow old? Matanda na rin si James Yap mo, uy.

Pildi na sad imong Ginebra. I mean, kangkong naman talaga for a long time - so, whatever.

Looking back at those times when he called, I would just roll my eyes at his teasing and say oo na talo na lagi Ginebra ko lol sige na busy ako love you 'pang ingat kayo dyan bye.

February 11, 2017 was our last phone call - it wasn't about Ginebra or PureFoods or basketball.

Mag-asawa at mag-anak ka na 'teng para may baby na kaming alagaan ni Mamang.

LOL pray ka lang, 'pang was what I replied.

Two days later, around lunchtime on a Monday, I got a call - Papang's heart and internal organs have shut down mag-book ka na ng flight mo umuwi ka na agad bukas.

2017 was a long and dreadful year, but it was on his first death anniversary when I secretly admitted to myself na wala na 'yung magic - hindi ko na feel ang basketball; manood at magsulat.

I wouldn't watch the games na mala-Minecraft na livestream or look for replay links na si Magoo Marjon ang commentator.

Nakikibalita na lang ako sa mga mabubuting Kabs ko sa Twitter.

It didn't matter anymore.

Papang Frank was my only family when it came to the PBA; so, when I lost him - that was it for me.

Until last night, when - after finally opening my Twitter account due to fucking boredom - I saw this photo.



I stared at this picture for a few seconds before a goofy smile broke across my face and a warmth filled my heart.

It was a few seconds after when little bits of memories na kinahon at isinantabi ko started popping out - dusty but well-loved.

Naalala ko 'yung una kong punta sa practice ng Ginebra sa Green Meadows.

 'Yung internet cafe sa tapat ng Big Dome, kung saan namin pina-print 'yung mga pictures with Ginebra players na ilalagay ko sa aking pitaka. Gahd.

'Yung Panatiko.tk site at mga bonggang t-shirts ni ate Lara.

'Yung malakas na tawa at malakas na loob ni ate Glenda.

'Yung malaking tiwala sa akin ni ate Rizza para i-approach si Jayjay at ipabasa ang Dear Lamberto sa kanya.

'Yung kapatiran at paghatid sa'kin sa sakayan ng tricycle ni Aps na sa Australia na nakatira.

'Yung galing sa pagsusulat ng captions at mga kwento sa Multiply ni Kaye.

'Yung unexpected but very welcome friendship from kuya Rhen, ate Arlynn, and Ma'am Badet.

'Yung nahanapan ako ng Barangay Never Say Die t-shirt ni sis Khendy noong araw na nag-champion ang Ginebra.

'Yung kahit hindi ko pa nakikita in person pero alam kong December din ang birthday ni @diangcoco.

'Yung mga respetadong elders sa Twitter - hello po, kuya Glenn @astig0 haha.

'Yung nakakalokang humor at tibay ng loob ni Momon na fake Ginebra fan.

'Yung pagtago ni Teacher Loue ng karne sa bag niya kasi hindi maubos ng mga #Kangsters ang pagkain sa eat-all-you-can.

At 'yung suporta ni ate Nessa sa pagsusulat ko simula pa lang noong una.

Naalala ko na para sa akin, Ginebra was not only just players and a team I supported and loved and cheered for through the many ups and many, many downs.

Ginebra was a lot of fans turned friends turned family - people who I struggled with during the eight long years sa kangkungan and people who I rejoiced with when we finally won that well-deserved championship in 2016.

To me, Ginebra was a big family that filled every venue up to its goddamn rafters - in number, rowdiness, Gi-neb-ra! chants, Never Say Die spirit and heart.

It was a big family composed of people from all walks of life - Si Manong driver. Si kuyang construction worker. Si ateng saleslady. Si Buboy. Si Sandra. Ikaw at ako.

A big family that I'm truly grateful for... for welcoming me and my little GinebRants with open arms.

I wish I can say that I'll go back to watching basketball, but only time can tell if my love for the sport Papang Frank introduced me to will ever resurrect again.

Pero, if ever i-grant ni Lord 'yung huling wish ni Papang for me, I know in my heart of hearts na one warm Sunday night in the future - hihilain ko ang anak ko, uupo kami sa harap ng TV to watch the PBA, at sasabihin ko sa kanya:

Ginebra ako. Ikaw?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. ginebra din ako, katulad mo...
    never say die fandom din po ako//!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grabee. Ang ganda ng pagkakasulat. Ginebra tayo!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, hello there.