Clifford Hodge: The man I bribed with a pizza

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, they said. It's tried and tested, they said. So I decided to bribe him...



The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, they said.

It's tried and tested, they said.

So I decided to bribe him with pizza.

No, I wasn't trying to win his heart.

In exchange for pizza, I told him to take it easy on Ginebra.

But of course, like any competitive athlete, he politely declined.

And I thought I had it in the bag.

Several hours after my epic failure, he just showed PBA fans why free pizza will never be enough for him to sit back and relax.

Let me tell you, I've never seen him play live or even on TV.

I follow non-Ginebra games on Twitter (because I'm biased like that).

Aside from the tweets of a PBA related Twitter account, there are a lot of Ginebra fans who have been raving about his work ethic.

So I immediately checked AKTV's game photo archive. (don't ask me why)

He had some decent shots there, I'd give him that.

But what really stumped me was his "sprawled on the floor" photos.

He was trying to mop the court clean. Really.

That was another issue I raised to him.

He did say to me that he'll try to stay on his feet.

Several hours after making a promise of not turning into a human cleaning kit, he just showed PBA fans why it's better for opposing teams to have him mop the floor all night than have it any other way.


20 points. 11 rebounds. 2 blocks.

Seriously, though.

I mean, seriously?

I know you said you don't want to take it easy on Ginebra this Saturday because you want to let the fans see what you're all about.

That stat line right there is enough to the let us fans know what you are about.

Loud and clear. Thank you very much.

But you know what?

I'm now looking forward to this weekend.

Because it's Jayjay Helterbrand's birthday! (October 14th!)

Okay, fine. And a little bit because of you.

I know you'd bring whatever you brought against Alaska when you'll face my Ginebra.

Plus some more, perhaps.

And if you do, you might just earn a lot more believers on Saturday.

Ginebra fans love a player with the heart of a fighter who never gives up.

Even though some show it in a weird way (See: Mac Cardona)

But early as your first game, I know a lot of Ginebra die hards who already believe in you and your ability.

As for me..

Well, if last night I felt quite apprehensive about you playing against Ginebra.

Now, everything's changed.

Really.

So.. would you reconsider the pizza we were talking about?

I'd throw in some pasta and drinks to go with that.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. There are quite a few active players I truly detest..Mac Cardona (as named here), Alex Cabagnot and Paul Lee. It's because they have the propensity to break my heart. Could he be the fourth man on the list? I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant wait to see cliff hodge banging bodies with wilson at hatfield.. if he can do that. this guy will be one of the strongest just like calvin abueva.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, hello there.