Dear MVP

August 11, 2013 Dear MVP, I'm a hater. I never liked you and I never had a reason to. Every single time I'd see yo...

August 11, 2013


Dear MVP,

I'm a hater.

I never liked you and I never had a reason to.

Every single time I'd see you on the TV screen cheering for Talk 'N Text, I'd make a face.

Every single time I'd see you do that *clap* *clap* *clap*, I'd get so infuriated.

Every single time I'd see you wear a yellow shirt to show support for your team, I'd roll my eyes.

Those long balloons annoy the hell out of me.

Those free TNT shirts make me cringe.

Those talks about you hoarding tickets make me narrow my eyes into "feeling Chinese" slits.

I was actually supposed to write an open letter for you during the last PBA Semfinals showdown between TNT and Ginebra, but I never got around to writing it because life happened.

But life works in a funny manner sometimes. And this is one of those times.

We just got through South Korea in the 27th FIBA Asia Semifinals, and here I am, wide awake at 1:24 am, typing away a letter for someone I dislike.

And I never would have thought in a million years that I would every say this, but if there's one person in the world right now that I would power hug, it would be you.

Yes, you.

I'd power hug you so tight you'd faint.

I'd power hug you so tight you'd need a life sized can opener to tear us apart.

I'd power hug you so tight we'd change faces.

I think the players, coaching staff, and the millions of Gilas fans have received well earned praises and acknowledgment.

A few people I follow on Twitter mentioned you, too.

But I think you deserve more than a couple of tweets that were easily drowned by an overwhelming number of "Congrats Gilas" messages.

So in my own little way and through my measly pro-Ginebra blog, I want to say thank you.

I know my dislike for you may come across as irrational. And sometimes, I think it actually is.

Maybe because I'm such a proud Ginebra fan.

Maybe because my judgement is clouded by what I read on the internet and what I hear through the grapevine.

Or maybe because I'm just jealous of the support you give to the teams you own.

I know you don't give a damn about me not liking you. I mean, come on. Who am I, right?

I know I'm probably not even worth a speck of dust to you and I don't matter in the greater scheme of things.

But, thank you.

From the bottom of my Ginebra die hard heart, thank you.

Thank you for supporting Philippine basketball.

Thank you for this amazing start for August.

Thank you for FIBA Asia 2013.

Thank you for Gilas Pilipinas.

Thank you for those long balloons, I'd like to think they were from you.

Thank you for everything you did to make this possible.

Thank you for being one of the prime reasons that our players were able to showcase their abilities in front of  the Filipino basketball faithful.

Thank you for gifting us with such a wonderful experience.

Thank you. This might not be enough, but still - thank you.

These past few days, that will forever be etched in my memory, are nothing short of amazing, thanks in large part to you.

The FIBA Asia will wrap up today.

PBA will start in a couple of days.

We'll be cheering for opposing teams once again.

And I'll still be a hater.

Or as some say, a confused admirer.

Love,

Tepmags

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Oh, hello there.